Over the weekend Renshaw tweeted a TED talk that caused me to rearrange my iPhone home screen.
Mike Williams’ talk goes something like this:
- Problem: You are distracted by design. You are constantly pulled towards your phone, and this hampers your abilty to enjoy life.
- Comfort: You aren’t alone. We are all in this together.
- Cause: Tricksters (programmers and designers) daily work to pull you towards their apps as often as possible.
- Solution: Calm by design.
- Clear your homescreen and set your background pic to something you find calming.
- Put your most used apps one swipe to the right on a second home screen.
- Turn off all notifications except the ones you need.
Now when you turn on your phone you are greeted by a calming image. You now have some space between you and “the jungle” of distraction.
My homescreen now looks like this:
One swipe to the right looks like this:
We’ll see how this goes.
Give it a listen yourself: